Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Prisoners of Iowa

Fact: Iowa has some larger cities with plenty going on. I went to one once and saw it with my own eyes.

Prisoners of Iowa
Outside of these select areas, you will find cows, cow smells, grass, and some Iowans who are partial to cow smells and grass. This is where we found ourselves down a tire (we woke up, tried to get out of town on a 4th plug, and failed).

Dropping 87 dollars on a renewed, super premium AAA membership was wise. It had not even been 24 hours and I was on the phone with Charles trying to secure a tow to freedom. 

Dodger got a bonus tow
By 11am, we had been towed to a Walmart and were up 4 tires and down a bit of money. 

Never have I been so happy to go to Walmart 

To kill time, we let Dodger pull us around the Walmart parking lot.
We also had a Walmart picnic of carrot sticks, chicken, and coffee.

Next, Nebraska. My people are Nebraskan, so I have karmic reservations about speaking ill of their land. But I will say this: it was long. It was hot. It was flat.

The goal was to get into Boulder, CO before we laid our weary heads to rest. It was painful, but we made it. I had to stay alert creatively: consuming 5 non-cherry blow pops in succession; brushing 2 weeks worth of knots from my hair; keeping vigilant watch for rogue deer. I think Rob was listening to Euro-trash dub rap on the radio, which means he was at wit’s end too.


We arrived at Rob’s friend Chris’ house late, but in one piece. Almost one piece. When you eat that many blow pops, you get blow pop cuts in your mouth. 




1 comment:

  1. this is amazing! love the pics, keep em coming. Continue to have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete