Sunday, April 1, 2012

Long story short


I moved from Florida to Chicago a while back and met this gentleman named Robert.

I grew quite partial to him, and he tolerates my presence as well. We decided one day that Chicago just was not for us: driving 3+ hours to be one with nature was a drag; toll fees went up 90(zillion)% this year; the city is dense; the suburbs can be sterile; you dare not eat fish you catch around here lest you intend to birth a child with 3 arms.

The obvious solution was to move to Alaska.

Rob, the beast, and fun with motor oil.

Rob spent a number of years fishing and framing there in his early twenties, returning home for a brief visit that turned into a 2-year stay. He knows he loves it in Alaska. I on the other hand set foot in Canada once, but got a good feeling about the north. That worked for me.

A few things happened in between (we were marooned on an island in Lake Superior, we got a Siberian Husky, we quit our jobs), but that’s the gist of it. Chicago is home to Rob and he’ll miss a lot about it. Chicago was good to me too, but now its time to move along.

Our drive to Alaska, by way of the desert, in elderly automobiles with elderly phones that don’t do anything but call and text is going to take a month. Then, we set up shop and I scramble to find work. This journey will probably be filled with fun and exciting things! It will probably also demand a bit of flexibility (patience, caffeine intake, avoidance of domestic abuse, et cetera).

On March 29th, we embarked. When I can harness the power of free interweb, I’ll keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment